Gluten Free Walnut Black Bean Brownies
Looking for a guilt-free brownie recipe that still tastes awesome? Look no further! Gluten-free Black Bean Walnut Brownies are rich, delicious, and yes they are actually healthy! These brownies are made with whole food ingredients that are packed with nutrients and will allow you to indulge in this sweet treat without having to worry about spiking your blood sugar levels.
Why spikes in blood sugar are bad
When your blood sugar is all over the place your energy levels will be too. You experience this first hand when you eat something super sugary, like candy. Candy is not a sustainable energy source. The energy from candy sends you bouncing off the walls because it floods your bloodstream with sugar really quickly. Your body kicks in to balance blood sugar levels by releasing insulin. Thirty minutes later, the energy is gone and you feel like curling up and taking a nap. This is when you also start craving sugar again. It is a vicious cycle.
So how can have your brownies and eat them to? Add black beans!
Black beans are the main ingredient in these brownies but I promise you can't taste them. They have a mild earthy flavour and are bursting with nutrients and health benefits. Black beans are high in protein and soluble fiber which will give you lots of energy while keeping your blood sugar stable.
The dietary fiber in black beans helps reduce bad cholesterol. On top of that, black beans are perfect for heart health because they contain folic acid which lowers homocysteine levels in the blood. Black beans have a dark shell that is high in antioxidants which help repair free radical damage. This means that they can help prevent cancer and signs of ageing.
Gluten-free Black Bean Walnut Brownies Recipe
- 1 cup walnuts, divided
- 19oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed or 2 cups cooked black beans
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the ½ cup walnuts in a food processor and process until you reach a flour like consistency.
- Add the beans, eggs, coconut oil, cocoa powder, maple syrup, baking powder and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips and ½ cup chopped walnuts.
- Transfer into the lined pan and even out the top with a wet spatula.
- Bake the brownies for 40 to 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool before slicing and enjoy!